Wed, 19 Dec 2018
26
Manila

DAVAO CITY Dec. 6 (PIA)- Youthworks PH is eyeing 4,500 signups among Dabawenyo youth which will give the youth beneficiaries access to training and employment opportunities.

Organized by the Philippine Business for Education and funded by the USAID, Youthworks PH is a five-year public-private partnership project that seeks to provide access to work-based training to 41,000 Filipino youth not in education, employment or training (NEET).

Jovan Cerda, communications and outreach manager says they are looking for 4,500 signups in Davao, with an estimated 10% of these signups to complete their training.

The Youthworks PH was launched in the cities of Cagayan de Oro, Cebu and Zamboanga. In the middle of this year it will be launched in Davao City, General Santos and Iloilo. The Metro Manila launching will be on January next year.

Cerda says they are looking to fill middle level skills in six priority sectors identified by the Department of Labor and Employment (DoLE). These are in construction, tourism, manufacturing, banking, energy and agriculture.

The program features work based training where the youth learns while doing real work in host companies and receiving classroom based instruction in partner schools. Trainees spend 80% of their time in the company and the remaining 20% in schools.

The youth will be given training allowances and training equipment materials and supplies.

Cerda says the project is a private sector driven partnership with support from DoLE, TESDA (Technical Educations Skills Development Authority) and also the local government.

To reach out to the youth target they will be conducting one-stop shop caravans and partnerships with local government units and youth organizations.

Cerda says Youthworks wants to provide a positive image for tech-voc schools which also provide employment opportunities and not just an inferior alternative to regular 4-year or 5-year college programs. This tech-voc advocacy is in line with their theme "Sa Husay, May Hanapbuhay" (In skills there is livelihood). (PIA/RG Alama)

Sign up for Manila News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!