Tue, 02 Jun 2020

Naga City records 1st case of COVID 19

Philippine Information Agency
01 Apr 2020, 00:38 GMT+10

NAGA CITY, March 31 (PIA) - City Mayor Nelson Legacion, on Monday evening officially announced the first case of COVID 19, here after a 30-year old returning female OFW from Dubai tested positive for the said virus.

In the city's Naga Smiles to the World FB page, Legacion confirmed the news but allay the fear of its residents that the virus will spread by ensuring that all protocols as per the Department of Health's advice are fully complied with.

"We assure each Nagueno that the city government and City Health Office are doing everything to implement the speedy contact tracing of those who got in touch with the patient. I have immediately directed the Incident Management Team (IMT) and the CHO to disinfect her residence including the place where she had visited and placed the entire barangay in quarantine," Legacion said.

The announcement came just a day after Legacion announced Monday, that eleven (11) Persons Under Investigation (PUIs) listed at the City Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit (CESU) all tested negative for COVID-19.

"We were in complete shock when we received the communication from DOH that Naga had its positive case," Legacion added.

The Chief Executive cited that the patient was not immediately reported to the CHO in the guise of "physician-patient" privilege.

Based on Legacion's narration, the patient arrived in the Philippines from Dubai, United Arab Emirates on January 30 and went straight to Caloocan City where she stayed for a while. On March 4, the patient left Manila on board a 9-pm Isarog bus bound to Naga and arrived at her grandmother's residence at Sister Therese Subdivision in Brgy. Concepcion Pequena, Naga City in the morning of March 5. On March 8, the patient, together with her grandmother, went at Mayon Resthouse in Albay in a private van.

A few days after, the patient complained of difficulty in breathing and had herself checked in 2 hospitals before she finally decided to visit Bicol Medical Center (BMC).

Dr. Joey Ranola, BMC Point Person for Emerging and Re-Emerging Infectious Disease (EREID) said that the patient got her swab test on March 19. It was immediately sent at the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM) and was received by the hospital on March 19. The result, bearing the confirmation was received over the weekend.

On a lighter note, Ranola said that the patient has been doing well after a battery of test and administration of medicine while she was confined at BMC.

"She has taken her first bath after 11 days of confinement, can sit in her bedside without being helped, can now breathe without the oxygen and can eat her meals heartily. That is a total transformation as compared to her condition when she was first admitted," Ranola noted.

Ranola said that the patient was again swab-tested to ensure that she is already virus-free. As of press time, BMC is still waiting for the result of the repeated swab test. The patient will be released once the test render a negative result. (LSMacatangay-PIAV/Camarines Sur)

Sign up for Manila News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!