MANILA - The Ospital ng Makati (OsMak) and the Makati Medical Center (MMC) have recorded "zero" new cases of coronavirus disease (Covid-19) during the past two weeks, the city government reported on Wednesday.
In a statement, Mayor Abigail Binay said the city-run OsMak has not recorded any new Covid-19 case since November 24, despite aggressive testing efforts.
"Earlier this month, we had 54 patients with Covid-like symptoms at OsMak. Fortunately, they all tested negative after undergoing RT-PCR (reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction) tests. Therefore, we have zero Covid cases at OsMak," she said, noting that a 75-year-old resident was the last Covid-19 patient admitted to the hospital on Nov. 24.
The patient experienced severe symptoms and eventually died last December 3.
Dr. Saturnino Javier, MMC medical director, has earlier issued a press statement confirming the hospital has recorded a zero-Covid-19 patient census for the first time in 20 months, since March 2020.
At present, Makati is under low-risk classification with 31 active cases, zero death, and one recovery, according to the latest report of the Makati Health Department (MHD).
Binay said the MHD attributed the low number of active cases to the city's high vaccination rate, availability of rapid antigen tests and RT-PCR tests, surveillance, and early isolation or quarantine of suspected Covid-19 patients.
She added that this is also the result of the strict implementation of minimum public health standards.
Binay, meanwhile, reminded the public not to be complacent as there are still looming threats posed by the Omicron coronavirus variant.
"Even if we are now under the low-risk classification, we should remain vigilant. It may only be a matter of time before the Omicron variant makes its way to our country. We must continue to strictly observe public health standards like wearing face masks and keeping a one-meter distance from another person," she said.
The city government has so far vaccinated 439,185 individuals, equating to more than 70 percent of the city's 624,560 total population.
Binay said they are further expediting the Bakuna Makati drive in partnership with the private sector aiming to decrease the number of active cases. (with report from Lloyd Caliwan/PNA)